Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Yoga...Sweet Yoga...

82 days! That's how long it's been since my wrist broke, and I finally went to a yoga class! Cast off, wrist tender but a LOT better, and I loved it. Of course, I wobbled, teetered, and planked all wrong (military-style, on fists because my wrist is still unable to handle the full weight of my bod--ouch), but it felt great nonetheless!

Resilient. If I had to use one word to describe the human body, that's it.

Don't get me wrong, my favourite exercise has become long walks with our newest, floppy-eared little buddy. But I'm slowly incorporating my other faves back into my life--I rode my bike to work a couple of weeks ago (too soon, perhaps), but there's always been something special about yoga. I've never been exceptional at it, but there is one feeling it always gives me during any practice--powerful. My body feels strong, engaged. With every inhalation and exhalation, I feel connected to myself in a way that truly feels authentic. It's liberating.

In Indian back in 2004, I used to do yoga on the rooftop of the dorm I called home for a few months. My fondest and most peaceful memories are of those times, practicing the poses that felt good to me, in no particular sequence (the warrior poses are definitely my favourites), while watching the sun rise and the people come to life on the dirt road below. A few rooftops over was an older man who practiced with a fervor and discipline I've never seen matched since or before. I could hear him doing the breath exercises from my rooftop, and when he bent himself into tight balls and twisted himself into pretzel-poses, I could see the purity of his practice come to life. Slowly, over the time I was there, I watched people start to join him and ask for guidance in their poses, and he always helped them. There was never money exchanged, no formal class, just his love for yoga and their desire to learn.

The image of that man and his response to those people is what yoga epitomizes for me. The structure of yoga, mixed with the humanity of those who practice in the truest way, makes me feel peaceful and connected.

So, yoga...sweet yoga...is something everyone can practice. It is an unbiased, accepting discipline just waiting and willing to offer its peace to all who are interested.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga makes the world a better place for many of us. Namaste

    ReplyDelete