Friday, March 1, 2013

I digress...

Once upon a time, there was a girl who thought technology was going to be the demise of human-kind. She scoffed at people (including her husband) who would check their phones incessantly. It was deemed unconscionable to even LOOK at a phone while in anyone else's presence. She hesitated and died a little inside when her husband bought her an e-reader one Christmas ("Oh No!" she thought. "How can this relationship work when he's one of THEM?!?"). 

Then, one day, she foolishly broke her wrist right before a trip to England. After nearly 8 months of barely using her e-reader, she found she could carry innumerable books with her abroad while not breaking a sweat! This made her a little feverish with glee...but no one needed to know THAT tidbit of information...

While abroad, her archaic phone became virtually non-functional. So, upon arriving back home, she decided she would upgrade to a smart phone. But she wouldn't abuse it. In fact, she would be stoic and discrete to the point that people wouldn't even KNOW she had a smart phone! After all, people had just recently discovered she had an e-reader! Unbeknownst to them, she was falling in love with it...but no one needed to know THAT tidbit of information, either.

Well, imagine what happened when she discovered all the functions of the "smart" phone! At first, the idea of using it as an actual computer to figure things out just plain scared her. Check email, weather, and even the bus schedule? What?!? And what was this business of chirping and linking?? All very foreign concepts to her.

Until...ding...what's that? I know when I get an email automatically!?! And bzzz...what's that? I can get an alert when I'm "tagged?" Uh oh...did I say, "I"?? I meant "she"!! 

No matter, this is completely fictional...

So, as I type this on my laptop with my newer, pocket-sized e-reader (interestingly enough, in my pocket) and my precious phone to my right, I don't see myself as having succumb. I'm not weak, really, I'm not! I can  be plugged in and still pay attention to you. 

Oh, hold on a minute, I've got a message...




No comments:

Post a Comment